Saturday, June 03, 2006

MacGregor's Closed for Good, Selfish Neighbors to Blame

I'm still recovering from the shock of hearing that MacGregor's has closed its original Gregory Street location for good. That bar was a landmark in the community. It was one of the best places in town to grab a beer, chow on some tasty grub, and watch a game. But that's all gone now, thanks to the selfish interests of its residential neighbors. They should be ashamed of themselves. That bar, despite the noise, attracted a relatively classy crowd which likely served to keep trouble away. I hope that building stands empty and unused, attracting crime and neglect to that section of the South Wedge. Maybe then the neighbors will realize the mistake they've made.

As a downtown resident, I'm quite used to noise. Many thousands decend on the streets below my apartment every weekend. They yell, swear, fight, honk, break bottles, and blast their stereos louder than I thought was possible. But that noise was there well before I moved in, so I feel that I have no right to complain. I knew what I was moving to and if I couldn't stand it, I could move. Why couldn't MacGregor's neighbors share my viewpoint? I'd have gladly purchased their home and dealt with the occasional noise problem. In fact, there was a lovely home on Cayuga Street just around the corner from MacGregor's that sold within days above list price so I know many folks are (or should I say were) attracted to that neighborhood because of MacGregor's, not in spite of it.

I hope that the City works with the owners of MacGregor's to find them another location in the City where they won't have to deal with asshole neighbors. As it conflicts with my values, I will not be visiting them in their sterile non-descript suburban locations. Sadly, I will treat them as I have Rohrbach's, which I haven't been to since they moved from Gregory Street to Ogden/Gates many years ago. I'm still holding out hope that Rohrbach's opens a City location, so folks like me can get reacquainted with their fantastic beers. But that sounds like a topic for another day. Allow me to close by posing an easily answered question. What is a city without life? For me, it's a city that I don't want to be a part of.