Monday, January 16, 2006

My Raison-d'Etre

When I'm not ranting, I'll be posting pics from in and around our fair city. Typically, these pics will be of places worthy of my praise - not places that ignite my disdain for the world.

What I hope to do with this blog is heighten appreciation for what Rochester is - a densely-populated historic inner city filled with the most diverse mix of peoples anywhere in upstate New York but surrounded by some of the most foul forms of suburban disposable sprawl architecture and development found anywhere in the world.

Much of my wrath will be directed towards the worst perpetrator of this waste: the Town of Henrietta. Is there anywhere else in the world that so purposely destroys its own landscape in order to generate a few extra tax dollars? How could any town allow so much new strip mall big-box asphalt-dominated crap development when so much of that very same thing already exists but lay vacant and slowly but surely deteriorating? Why doesn't Henrietta zone some land in the Jefferson/West Henrietta/East Henrietta roads corridor for low-income housing suitable for workers who often have to take an hour-long bus ride from the city to reach their thankless jobs in that thankless atmosphere? Because they're cold-hearted selfish scumbags, that's why.

Apparently that was my first rant. That felt good. Stay tuned, there's more to come.